Reviewed By Cara Swanston - Registered Member MBACP Adv. Dip.
Alternative Nostril Breathing
08 February 2023
This simple breathing exercise which has been seen to lower, stress & anxiety and improve memory & focus, give it a try!
This breathing technique comes from the world of Yoga and has been scientifically studied in recent years. It has been seen to lower stress and anxiety and improve memory and focus.
Sit comfortably and lengthen the spine
- Tuck your right middle and index finger towards the palm of your hand
- Close your right nostril with your thumb and inhale through the left nostril.
- Close your left nostril with your ring finger, open the right nostril and exhale through the right nostril.
- Inhale through the right nostril, close it, open the left nostril and exhale through the left nostril.
This is one cycle.
- Continue for up to 5 minutes. To make it even more relaxing – lengthen your exhales.
Still not sure whether it’s for you? Give it a go and follow along with our video guide. Consider how you were feeling before and how you feel after?
Get Inspired Further
My name is Rebecca, 18, and I was introduced to EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) because I get very overwhelmed and uncomfortable when I feel stressed
how can mindfulness help me
“Mindfulness” is everywhere. But what can it really do to help your mental health and does it actually work?
Gratitude - Helper Practice
This gratitude practice is really quick and effective! It can promote many aspects of positive mental and physical health. Try this for a few minutes, a few times a week.