Reviewed By Pamela Kirkpatrick - Senior Accredited NCS & Registered Member MBACP Adv. Dip.
Not sure if Meditation is for you?
12 June 2023
Can you take a couple of minutes now to pause, be still and engage in a short meditation? This meditation utilises the power of breath, soft focus vision and visualisation.
Feeling overwhelmed by stress, anxiety, or the weight of daily life?
Discover the Magic of Meditation:
Why Meditation Works:
- Breath in serenity: Deep, mindful breathing activates the relaxation response, calming your nervous system and reducing stress levels.
- Quieting the mind: Meditation helps to quiet the incessant chatter of thoughts, creating space for clarity, focus, and improved mental resilience.
- Embracing self-compassion: Through meditation, you cultivate a sense of kindness, acceptance, and self-love, fostering emotional balance and wellbeing.
Getting Started Tips:
- Find your sacred space:
- Create a cozy corner where you can unwind, free from distractions.
- Start small: Begin with just a few minutes a day and gradually increase the duration as you become more comfortable.
- Guided meditation apps: Explore apps that offer free beginner-friendly guided sessions, perfect for easing into your practice.
- Be gentle with yourself: Remember, meditation is a journey, and there's no "right" way to do it. Allow yourself to embrace imperfection and let go of expectations.
Each of these techniques work with our nervous system to initiate a relaxation response in the body.
- How did it feel for you?
- Did you feel more relaxed?
- Would you be willing to try this everyday, for a month to really assess the benefits?
Feel free to discuss this in the comments of the video on our YouTube Channel.
Get Inspired Further
Gratitude - Helper Practice
This gratitude practice is really quick and effective! It can promote many aspects of positive mental and physical health. Try this for a few minutes, a few times a week.
Gratitude - Story Practice
We are a species of storytellers. Stories are at the centre of human existence. This is one of the reasons that this gratitude practice using the power of story has been seen to be one of the most powerful and effective gratitude practices.
Anxiety Orient to Safety
A user Joined the Conversation by asking for a practice that helps reduce anxiety. Catherine Wells, Occupational Therapist suggests giving Orienting a go.